In February 2022, there will be a change to ebook reading apps that many library customers use. One of the ebook apps, OverDrive, will be phased out and replaced with the Libby app. This change will provide the best ereading experience for users!
The Libby app is newer, more user friendly, quicker to log into than OverDrive, and is the overall preferred reading app among customers! The Libby app will let you continue to check out library ebooks and eaudiobooks to your computer, phone, tablet, and Kindle devices in a more streamlined way.
This change will mostly effect people who use a Kindle Fire, but anyone who is still using the blue OverDrive app on their device will need to switch to a different ebook app. There are a two ways to check out ebooks on your device without the OverDrive app:
- Download the free Libby app on your phone or non-Kindle tablet, login with your library card, and continue reading on your device! Once your book is downloaded to your device you do not need an internet connection to read or listen to it. You can also send ebooks to your Kindle devices by clicking the “Read with Kindle” option. This will prompt you to log in to your Amazon account if you aren’t logged in already. Then, you can send your library book to your Kindle!
- Most users, including Kindle Fire users, may find this method easiest. Kindle Fire currently does not support downloading the Libby app directly onto the Fire tablet.
- Open www.laportelibrary.overdrive.com in a web browser and use your library card to log in. Read library books directly in the browser or send it to your Kindle with the “Read with Kindle” option! This method is best for people who read on their computers or who do not have a smartphone or tablet. Please note that internet access is necessary to read with this method.
- Kindle Fire users can also use this method to read ebooks by using the “Silk” web browser on their Fire tablet.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can I keep my password that I was using with OverDrive?
- Yes! Your login information will stay the same no matter what login method you use.
- Will I be able to keep my library books if I switch to the Libby app from the OverDrive app?
- Yes! And the spot where you were last reading/listening will also be saved as well!
- Do I have to switch to the Libby app right away?
- We recommend you switch as soon as possible. In February, OverDrive’s parent company will remove the app from the app stores and will stop supporting it. This means if there are problems with your OverDrive app, we will not be able to fix them.
- If I use www.laportelibrary.overdrive.com to get my books, will I have to log in every time?
- No. Unless you log out, the website should keep you logged in to your account for a long period of time.
- I don’t remember my password to log in. Can you help?
- You can call any library branch or email email@example.com and for staff help with your password. You can also use the instant message function on laportelibrary.org by clicking the orange “Need help?” button in the bottom right hand corner.
If you have any questions about the transition or need help getting used to a new check out method, library staff is ready to help! You can give us a call or come into any branch for assistance.