The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) launched National Cybersecurity Awareness Month in October 2004. This month is designed to bring awareness to being safe and secure online. This year’s theme: “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.” encourages individuals and organizations to own their role in protecting their part of cyberspace, stressing personal accountability, and the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity. In the digital age of everything online banking, shopping, and medical records access is at your fingertips. It is important to be sure your personal and financial information is secure.
How can you start protecting your online presence? Follow these five easy tips.
Top 5 ways to #BeCyberSmart.
- Keep Your Software Up to Date — Be sure to turn on automatic system updates for your device. Keep web browsers up to date with automatic security updates and browsers plugins updated. This is the best defense against viruses and malware.
- Use Anti-Virus Protection and Firewall — Anti-virus protection software and a firewall defend your device from viruses and malware attacks.
- Use Strong Passwords — A strong password is crucial to online security. A long and complex password is one of the easiest ways to protect yourself.
- Use Two-Factor or Multi-Factor Authentication — This adds a layer to your password. With Two-factor authentication, you will be prompted to enter a second authentication method along with your password.
- Beware of Phishing Scams — Phishing is a method of an attacker that poses as someone or something to trick you into giving up personal and/or financial information.