The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Don’t Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus by Mo Willems. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. These are just three of the millions of published picture books for children. Growing up, many of us had a favorite picture book. Maybe it is a story you now share with your own children. Picture books are full of meaningful messages, beautiful illustrations, and loveable characters. “There are so many reasons to love picture books,” the website Brightly states.
“A child, no matter what age or reading level, can look at a picture book 1,000 times over, finding something new to discover with each reading. They’re perfect for bringing families together for some quality time.”
November is Picture Book Month! According to the American Library Association, Picture Book Month was “founded by author and storyteller Dianne de Las Casas.” Throughout the month of November, we embrace this “international literacy initiative that celebrates the print picture book in an increasingly digital age.” You can celebrate Picture Book Month with your family! Here are a few ways to support the importance of literacy and picture books:
- Read picture books together as a family! Share a variety of stories and make reading an enjoyable activity. Let your child choose some of the books, too!
- Visit websites of your favorite authors! Learn about beloved authors with your child. Help them understand an author’s inspiration for writing or how they came up with ideas for their stories.
- Enjoy family-friendly activities that supplement favorite stories! Oftentimes, author websites and other literacy-based websites share activities that go along with their books.
- Act out your favorite story! With your family, tell your favorite story by acting out. You can also use stuffed animals or make puppets. Make it a whole family or neighborhood presentation!
- Make a trip to the library! Bring your family to the local library. Explore the collection of stories and read something new.
Visit the website dedicated to Picture Book Month for more ideas and inspiration and share with us your favorite picture book! Picture books deserve to be celebrated.